Integrity


Have you ever watched someone’s behaviour and wondered how they can possibly think that what they’re doing is ok?  Perhaps you’ve wondered this about your own actions – I know I have.  For me, that’s usually a good clue that I should reconsider what I’m doing. 

Free Integrity Word Art Prints and Wall Artwork | FreeArt


Merriam-Webster defines integrity as:
-   “firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values;
         --   an unimpaired condition;
         --     the quality or state of being complete or undivided”





While the second and third definitions appear to relate more to items – something which is complete, or undamaged, I believe the whole definition also relates to our behaviour and the way we live.

We all have a moral code.  I’ll admit that I wonder about those to which some people adhere as they certainly don’t seem to match with my own standards.  But even someone of disreputable character has such a code – they truly believe that they are doing what’s best.  It may not be what’s best for anyone around them, but in the place where they are, they believe it’s best for them.  That’s adherence to a code.
Doing the Right Thing: A Habit Worth Mastering - Shep Hyken

I consider my code to be pretty straightforward:  I need to behave in a way that I’m not ashamed to look at myself in the mirror.  That means that I try to make choices which don’t harm those around me.  It means that I make an effort to do things to help others.  It also means that I honour my own self-worth – something I spent many years learning to build – by acting in a way that also doesn’t harm me.  For me, integrity includes areas such as doing my best in all I do, in taking rest for myself when I need it, and in “filling” my soul by spending time on causes that matter to me, and with people I love.

What is an “unimpaired condition”?  Physically speaking, it sounds like something that’s undamaged, and functioning properly.  When I ran a bar some years ago, I made the rather obvious deduction that drunkenness is called “impaired” for a reason.  Judgment is impaired.  (If you’ve never spent much time listening to a drunk person’s reason, just take my word on this one).  Someone who’s drunk – or high, or simply misinformed in some cases – has impaired judgment.  What might your, or my, judgment be impaired by?  Inaccurate information, emotional responses which take over a clear mind, a bias against someone who’s wronged you in the past, and more.   If we’re to truly demonstrate integrity in our lives, we need to ensure that we are in an unimpaired condition.

Integrity - Destiny Rescue
Then we get to “complete or undivided”.  How does that apply to behaviour which demonstrates integrity?  For me, this goes to commitment.  Have you ever heard the expression “I’m of two minds about that”?  While considering other opinions is both valid and important, you can’t commit to a course of action with integrity without, well, committing.  Being sure about what you feel is right.  If you’re not sure it’s right, wait, or thing more.  (And yes, there are times where fast action is needed.  That’s where I just trust my intuition and that the universe is always acting for my best interest).

Integrity becomes a lot more complicated when we look at it this way, doesn’t it?

As with so many of these lessons, this one comes out of 



Today’s lesson, though, is a simple one – at least, it is for me.  I still like C.S.Lewis's definition of integrity: Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching.  This is it for me.  That’s what means I can keep looking at that person in the mirror, or at least, to do my best to do so. Are you demonstrating integrity in your daily life?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Fall

September 28th, and positive thinking