My Way

I’ve always been one with ideas.  One of my earliest memories is from when I must have been five or six years old.  I was in school, and my brother wasn’t yet.  He and his best friend attended a local preschool.  On the day I recall, there was a PA or other non-school day in our area, and the preschool invited older siblings to attend.  As any sensible parent would, my parents and those of my brother’s best friend jumped at this opportunity, and we three “older” kids joined them at the preschool that day.

The incident is a simple one.  We were going to draw a cat.  As one would typically do at a preschool (or any other basic drawing setting), we were to begin with basic shapes.  Draw a circle for the head.  Draw two triangles on top for the ears.  Draw a small triangle in the middle for the nose, and two small circles for the eyes.  Draw lines from the nose for the whiskers.


Simple, right?  But not for me.  Even at that young age, I wanted to do this my own way, and drew a cat.  As my drawing skills remain poor, it’s easy to see which one turned out better, and it certainly wasn’t mine.

I’m not sure what ran through the minds of the instructors there, but it was probably something along the lines of “well, that one likes to forge her own path”, or perhaps less kindly “that one’s a challenge”.  Both were true then and remain so.

What’s changed, though, is how I apply this.  After repeating this situation in various forms over the years, I’ve learned that instructions are sometimes of value.  After all, they’re there for a reason.  I’m not quite “a guy” in completely ignoring instructions, but I like to think that my revised process incorporates the best of instruction given and my own creative problem-solving skills.

When provided with a task, I typically listen to or read the instructions provided.  After all, someone spent time on these.  Chances are fair that there is some value present.  (Apologies to any offended instruction-writers).  I then decide whether I agree with the instructions given.  Perhaps I feel that the order of these might not fit me, my situation, or simply my opinion.  Sometimes, I feel that there are changes or additions to these instructions which might provide a better solution.  And, on occasion, I follow these directly.  Once in a while, I go my own way.


Here’s the great part, though:  it usually works out well, because I know myself, and the problem-solving skills I’ve developed over fifty-plus years. 

One recent example which worked out well occurred in an online course that I’m studying.  Our assignment was to summarize our course learning in some form.  This could be an essay, cartoon, or any other medium so long as it included certain listed areas.  Being myself (and as I still can’t draw), I chose to do a freestyle poem for this assignment – an expressive style in which I’m comfortable.  While I still felt a little insecure about my out-of-the-box idea, I submitted my writing for evaluation and was rewarded with a perfect grade!  For me, it’s a great illustration about understanding yourself, and mixing instruction with creativity.

There are lessons throughout these experiences.  One I learned over the years, obviously, is that there is some value in instruction.  It’s worth at least considering, as these are given for a reason. The other is that very few situations are identical.  It pays to adapt, and to look at all the factors involved before working out a best solution.  And, sometimes the best solution really is someone else’s.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Fall

September 28th, and positive thinking