The Things That Matter


Have you ever noticed that we all seem to prioritize differently?  Some people never seem to have any time to clean house, for example, while other apparently busy folks have no trouble getting that done.

I’ve always felt this relates directly to who we are as individuals – what’s important to you is what’s more likely to get done.  Understand, now, that when one is working for a living, work is a priority because we want what it provides (usually, money).


On the other hand, there’s a great deal of variance in priorities.  Our neighbours have beautiful gardens.  They’re truly spectacular, and worthy of a good stare.  But our neighbours only seem to spend time outside working in the gardens – and I see a great many garden-work hours going on there.  What baffles me, though, is that they don’t ever just sit and enjoy this beauty.  I, on the other hand, spend plenty of time outside, and certainly enjoy the view of my neighbours'
lovely gardens.   What I don’t spend a great deal of time doing, however, is gardening.  I’m not good at it, and I don’t enjoy it.  Then again, there’s also that bending/crouching challenge.  To be honest, though, it isn’t something I’ve ever really enjoyed.  I like to look at gardens.  Digging in them does not make me happy.  As such, things in my garden grow by luck or chance – except for the basil plant on the deck, which does get watered and isn’t yet dead.  (yay, me!)

One of my priorities, though, is food.  I like food.  I like to eat it, I like to play with it (in kitchens) and I like to serve it.  With this in mind, there’s plenty of food in my house.  Food in freezers, food in fridges, and even some in cupboards.   There’s food ready to cook with and food that’s ready to eat.  There’s even food that I can’t eat but that other people can enjoy. Anyone who starves to death in my house would be doing so by their own (rather foolish, if I do say so) choice.  I’m always baffled by people who don’t have at least one freezer (assuming they have space for it) or who don’t enjoy cooking.  However, as many of those people are happy to visit my house and be fed, I can’t complain too loudly.

The same goes for getting things done.  I have perpetual to-do lists – write the blog, work on an assignment for my current course, do or analyze something as part of my volunteer work, write a speech, work in my sewing room or on needlework, and so many more.  Some of those items get written off my list pretty quickly.  For example, while I occasionally (as you’ve likely noticed) allow myself a day’s grace on the blog, I try not to skip one for two reasons.  First – I hope you’re all enjoying this and that you look forward to new posts.  Second – while I occasionally procrastinate or simply get busy or distracted, once I sit down with an idea, I really enjoy writing this.  I’m glad you enjoy reading it too!  Other things – like my sewing room – might just depend on the blocks of time I’m able to allocate, or how I feel about the project I’m working on.

The long and short of it is simple.  We prioritize the things we most care about.  My understanding of this is a mixed blessing … if someone makes a point to spend time with me or help me get things done, I read into it that I’m a priority for them.  If they often cancel time with me or don’t get things done as promised, I read into that, too.   

Am I right?  Probably sometimes – and although I can admit that other factors likely come into play, I don’t always internalize that as part of my instinctive response.  Today’s lesson?  Understand what’s important to you – whether as a responsibility or a joy, and DO prioritize it.  But as you do so, don’t forget to let the people who matter most know their value to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Fall

September 28th, and positive thinking