Don't Be Autocorrect

 

Autocorrect:  the implication that your phone/tablet/computer/other device knows what you’re trying to say.  Better than you do.

Ah, autocorrect.  Bane of my existence.  And yet, occasional friend.

Yes, I can admit it.  There ARE times where this friend/fiend has jumped in and fixed things I was trying to say.  This happens most often when my oversized fingers are attempting to type on my iPhone.  On those relatively rare occasions, I’m grateful for it.

But the rest of the time – oh, the rest of the time!  I vividly recall dictating a message of moderate length to my boss when I worked in construction.  My dictation ran something like this:

“So, we should meet up and talk about the eavestrough for that townhouse complex.  I’m a little concerned about access in some areas.”

Autocorrect – in its unfathomable wisdom – interpreted my dictation thus:

“I’m going to the mall, and I saw this really cute purse.  Love ya!”


Kudos to you if you see the resemblance here.  I sure didn’t, and still don’t.  This was certainly one of the many moments where I was grateful for proofread messages (something I don’t always do depending on my rush/the situation/etc).  And for those who know me personally, you’ll know that going to a mall and finding a cute purse is about as likely for me as it is for Jack Nicholson.  (unless he has a purse fetish which is as yet unknown).

Assumptions are powerful, though – and to me, that’s what autocorrect is all about.  It assumes it knows what I’m talking about.  Thankfully, its skills are improving, so it’s right more than half the time.  (But oh, the other half!)

Assumptions are powerful for us as humans as well.  For most of us, we make them frequently.  We assume that someone in a menial job isn’t well-educated.  We assume that someone on the street isn’t trying.  We assume that someone who looks happy is showing their true face. We assume that someone who sent us a short text response to a lengthy message is brushing us off.


So many of these things aren’t so.  You can probably do the math by yourself – many well-educated people hold menial jobs for a variety of reasons ranging from need to adaptability.  Many of those on the street are running or hiding from something overwhelming, and some others are simply in need of a hand-up.  A happy face is a great mask.  And that short text?  It might just be someone who’s rushing to do too many things but wanted to get a response to you.  (Note: these are just some of the possible truths here!)

Well then.  How DO we deal with assumptions?  My aim is not to make them.  I’m sure I fail at this regularly, but I think it’s an important concept.  If you want to know how someone is feeling or why they’ve done something, ask.  If they really don’t want to talk about it, most people WILL tell you, whether in words, by turning away, or through other non-verbal means.


When we assume, we’re taking over someone else’s thoughts and imposing our own.  And there are just so many possibilities in someone else’s brain that your likelihood of being right – EVEN if you know them well (or think so).  Isn’t that high.  Just ask!  There’s your wisdom for today.  Don’t assume – ask.

Don’t be autocorrect!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Fall

September 28th, and positive thinking