Crusader of the Year


It was always the same girl who won.  She was just who you’d expect - you know, the pretty and popular cheerleader type who seemed to naturally thrive in the limelight.  And at 12, she’d already been a Crusader for years.  (For those who don’t know, Crusaders is a church program similar to guides/scouts).

I was a late joiner at 12 years old, and while I approached the many projects, badges and assignments with my usual gusto, I didn’t even think about winning an award.  Of course, I didn’t know about its existence until just before the end of the year.


It wouldn’t have mattered if I’d known sooner.  I was already busy looking for new badges to earn in my over-achiever way, and even once I knew of the award, I knew I couldn’t really have increased my own achievements.

I also knew it wouldn’t matter.  After all, the same girl won the award every single year.  And she was, well, you know, the winning type.  The person I never was, no matter what I achieved.  The one who was always everyone’s favourite.


It didn’t matter – or at least, I told myself so.  I wasn’t in this to win, but to achieve.  And – let’s face it – because my parents put me there.  Winning something I didn’t even know existed hadn’t been a priority earlier, and so it wasn’t one now. 

When the awards ceremony was announced, I already knew I didn’t want to go.  After all, it was going to be very people-y (never one of my favourite things), and just another fuss about the same person who was always the center of attention.  I saw that often enough already.

One of the things I remember most about the event was my mother pushing and insisting that I had to go.  While she did usually push me to these things, it wasn’t usually the big issue she made of it on this occasion.  I didn’t know why, but eventually I acceded to her request and went.

In hindsight, I guess it was a good thing that I did so.  While my pretty and popular counterpart had won this award for as long as anyone remembered, this year was different. 

This year, I won.  I vividly recall hearing my name announced, and the shock that followed.  My own, more than anything.  I won?  How was that even possible? 


I’m not sure what happened to that long-ago trophy, but I kept it for many years.  It was a small thing in hindsight, but it meant the world to me.  I won it – no, I earned it. 

The lesson here really goes to expectations, and assumptions.  I expected that pretty and popular girl to win it again.  That was what always happened.  But – as so often happens – the expected and assumed wasn’t so.  My lesson here was to expect the unexpected.  Expect the best.  You never know, it might happen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Fall

September 28th, and positive thinking