If we gently admire the softness, we don’t experience the sharpness


Over the past year or so, I’ve grown to greatly enjoy and admire Nathan W. Pyle’s webcomics.  Not just because they often feature cats – though I enjoy that – but because I feel like they dissect life in a unique and amusing way which affects the way I think.

One of the things it makes me think about is whether we simply make life too complicated.  We don’t look at the simple things.  At face value.  We’re so busy reading into things and looking for hidden meanings or fancy ways to express ourselves that we sometimes miss the obvious.

The first webcomic shown is one of my favourites.  Again, not just because there’s a cat.  But I love the fact that it reminds me that I can look for and enjoy my favourite things, while still being cautious of the death blades that accompany them. 

There are so many things in life that come with “a twist”, aren’t there?  That new job which requires a move to another town and perhaps some unhappy children.  The inheritance which paid off debts but took a loved one. 


What we take from these – the parts we savour – is truly our choice.  That’s where that magical factor comes in.  We can choose to handle the softness in a way that’s enjoyed.  In a way that maximizes what we perceive as good, and minimizes those aspects we perceive as bad.  (Remember, good and bad are a matter of perspective.  That cat considers those death blades a good thing: protection!)

So what’s the lesson from this?  It’s choice.  We have choices in how we perceive things – whether we take them at face value, whether we look for the good, whether we’re busy reading too much into it (why does the softness require death blades?)

If we gently admire the softness, we don’t experience the sharpness.  Let’s apply that to life, shall we?


(If you enjoyed the webcomics I selected here, check out Nathan W. Pyle's site nathanwpyle.art, or follow him as I do on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/nathanwpyle2)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Fall

September 28th, and positive thinking