The Little Things


Do you ever notice that it’s little things in life that seem to mean the most to us? I know I do. The holiday season, I’m reminded that this means so many different things to different people. For some, it’s an opportunity to connect with family who may be distant. In many cases, that may not happen this year. For others, it’s an opportunity for religious remembrance. Many of those right now also very different, occurring online without the traditional warmth of an in person gathering.

There are the people who absolutely love the decorating. The inside, the outside, their persona, everything is decorated. And if it bring some joy, and I’m glad for them. This year, at least that’s one thing that can still happen. It’s a little different, but it still happening. Then, you have the gift givers. Those people who love to go and buy gifts and give them, or who simply love having mounds of gifts under a Christmas tree (or elsewhere, if you celebrate something else). In some cases, they’re busy giving gifts to those in need. 

For me, the greatest part of the holiday season is the music. Music has been a central point in my life for nearly 50 years, and at this time of year, it’s something I particularly enjoy. One privilege I’ve had in the last several years has been to provide accompaniment for carols for some of my Toastmasters clubs, for community organizations, and for a local hospital. These events typically involve large numbers of people in small places, or at least crowded places. This year, of course, that won’t happen as it always has. But that doesn’t have to be fully absent. 

As a pianist, I’m privileged in that I can touch only one thing (the piano) and remain isolated while performing. It’s my hope to be able to do this in some of our local seniors’ residences, even if I can’t do it in conjunction with the carolers. Why? It’s something I greatly enjoy. It’s also something which seems to bring a great deal of pleasure and happiness to those who listen. While I’m not quite sure how things will pan out, I have put in a request to be able to simply go and play carols at some venues nearby. 

I’m hopeful for a “yes”, but as ever, I have a contingency plan in place. If I can’t play in person, I’m blessed with tech-savvy friends who can set me up to record from the piano in my home, so that I can live stream and share with others who want to listen. Regardless of the option that I’m left with, I’m still blessed with a love of music, and the opportunity to share its joy. 

Isn’t that how so many things in life happen, though? Sometimes things don’t work out in quite the way that we wish for. That doesn’t necessarily mean we have to give them up. Sometimes, it just means we get a little bit more creative to make the important things happen. How are you making important things happen in your world?               

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Fall

September 28th, and positive thinking