Making Space


Gardeners know the importance of leaving space – without it, plants overcrowd, and even the strongest struggle to survive.  It’s such a focus that many go in and remove weaker plants for greater separation – to allow the most productive to be fruitful.

Now, I’m not suggesting that “The Purge” is a good idea.  Supporting one another is an important aspect of what makes a productive and caring society.  But there’s credence to the concept of creating space.   Best of all, it’s something many of us already do on a regular basis?

How?

One plus we’ve seen in 2020 has been an increase in self-care – individuals taking time for their own well-being, whether that’s by way of a personal spa day at home, some extra reading time in your favourite chair, or whatever fills your soul.  Sometimes, it’s just taking time and not rushing.

Many people create space for themselves by nesting.  While this is common (and certainly something in which I indulged) in pregnant women, there’s nothing to preclude others from doing so as well.  There’s definitely something soothing in fostering and feathering your own space.

Others leave space for, well, others.  Foster parents do this for children, and I’m privileged to know a few of these incredibly giving souls.  They create space for those children to feel safe, to grow, to be nurtured.  In some fortunate cases, this even becomes a long-term situation.  Foster pet parents do likewise for so many of the unfortunate pets in our society. My admiration for these people – on both counts – knows no bounds.

I received what I consider an exceptional compliment recently – in fact, it’s what inspired today’s blog.  I’ve been away from the blog-community for a while, taking some needed space of my own.  But I enjoyed a wonderful conversation with a friend earlier this week – one I haven’t spoken with directly in quite a while. And she told me that one of the things she most enjoys about me – about being with me – is that I create space for others to grow. This really touched me.  Partly because she’s someone I love and admire, and her opinion is of great value to me.  And partly because that’s exactly the person I want to be.  As a young person, I didn’t feel like this.  It’s possible that others tried to support me in this way, but if they did, I didn’t feel it.


As we begin a new year – and I’m hoping it’s one full of wonderful opportunities and changes for all of us – I leave you with this thought: create space for someone else to grow – yourself, a child or family member, a foster child or animal, or even a stranger.  Make space.  It’s a big world.  We have lots of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Fall

September 28th, and positive thinking