Little Things and Big Impacts

When I was young, I knew what I wanted to be: a teacher, a psychologist, Prime Minister of Canada. Maybe a librarian. For me, all of these had one key thing in common, though, which really defined what – or who – I wanted to be. Someone who made a difference. Today, I get to be some of those things. I’m sometimes a teacher. I periodically feel like a psychologist. If you look at my office, you won’t doubt librarian. I’m not yet the Prime Minister, but I have a few good years left in me – you never know!
But best of all is that I do get to make a difference. Today, that was via tiny squeaking voices. One of the things I really enjoy doing is acting as an occasional driver for a local rescue. It’s not difficult. I pick up cats and/or kittens (most often kittens) and drive them to the vet for what’s called a “spa day” – they get fixed, have their health checked out, and are made ready for their new lives in loving forever homes.
Why is this awesome? - I start my day with tiny squeaky kitten voices. Can you beat that? I think not. - My small effort makes a difference – both in their lives and those of their loving families. - There are less homeless/abandoned/unwanted animals out there. It breaks my heart to know there are any! - I have the gratification of knowing I make a difference. It’s an amazing way to start my day. I’ve volunteered for much of my life if I think about it. From shoveling neighbour’s driveways whether or not they were home to pay me to working on the school’s PTA association to helping animal organizations to leading in Toastmasters or being a part of the board for a not-for-profit organization, it all makes a difference. And that feeling does me a lot of good no matter what the rest of my life is like. (Have you ever heard my line that there’s no cure for your own problems like solving someone else’s?)
You can make a difference too. I love animals, so that’s where part of my passion goes. But whatever yours is, there’s an opportunity there – to help animals, to support or encourage seniors, to help the homeless or disadvantaged, or to simply offer aid or encouragement to someone in your community. Today’s lesson? Little things can have a big impact – on others and on ourselves. What little things are you doing to create that impact?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Fall

September 28th, and positive thinking