A Lingering Legacy

As one of thirty grandchildren on each side of my family, time with grandparents who lived a few hours away was a precious commodity.  It was also precious in the sense of short supply.  While I treasured the time I did have, there were always cousins who lived closer, who had more time, who could just drop in. 

I missed that.  Until my first marriage.  While there were many not-so-good things about that relationship, one tremendous bonus was my new paternal grandmother-in-law.  Nana.  Not only was her home in Toronto readily accessible from my downtown office by subway, we just clicked. 

She was a tiny lady, and already about 90 years old when I first knew her, living fairly independently in her own apartment in a retirement residence.  I visited her often – usually at least once every couple of weeks – and we enjoyed long conversations about her life as a young woman, and particularly about the time she spent waiting for her would-be husband to return from World War I.  

She had postcards they’d sent each other – linen ones – which they’d each kept for over seventy years.  A talented artist in many areas, she still had some of the fine needlework she’d done through the years, many paintings, engraved silver handed down through her family, and a wondrous set of china she had hand-painted herself as a young bride. 

Nana's favourite meal was Kentucky Fried Chicken, and at my visits, I’d show up with a 3-piece meal for us to share, and she’d have jello made – whatever flavour most appealed to her that day.  We regularly ate fried chicken, french fries, coleslaw, and jello off that hand-painted china.  And it was marvelous. 

One day in March of 1990, I got a call that Nana was in and out of consciousness and wouldn’t last much longer.  I was about six months pregnant with my first child at the time, and hadn’t spent quite as much time with Nana as I had previously.  But I sure moved quickly to get to her side.  We were told that while she wasn’t conscious, she could likely hear and sense us, and encouraged to talk to her.  I did.  I told her how much I loved her, and how much our time together meant to me.  She died while I held her hand. 

When I divorced my first husband, that engraved silver which had been handed down left my home and went with him.  I don’t know what happened to it beyond that.  But my day was made recently when that magnificent hand-painted china came my way via my own daughter about thirty years after her passing.  As I unpacked each precious piece, I could feel her with me.  I could taste that chicken and jello, and hear her stories.  That hundred-year-old china holds pride of place in my china cabinet – and gave me a great excuse to finally get one – and she’s in my mind each time I look at it or use a piece.  


What’s the lesson here?  A simple one – value the time you have.  My greatest regret on the day I got that call was that I had fallen off in my visits with Nana.  I can never get those back.  But I firmly believe that her spirit is with me, and that she has greatly enjoyed watching my own children – the great-grandchildren she never knew in life – grow and prosper. 

Nana, I still miss you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Fall

September 28th, and positive thinking